Minecraft is one of the most popular video games in history, and the Steam Deck is revolutionizing the way we play. For gamers who prefer Minecraft: Java Edition, the Steam Deck has the potential to take gameplay to the next level. But getting Minecraft: Java Edition on the Steam Deck is not a straightforward process. In this article, we will explore how to get Minecraft: Java Edition running on the Steam Deck and why it makes for the perfect combination for gamers.
Understanding Steam Deck and Minecraft Java Edition
Steam Deck is a new handheld gaming console developed by Valve Corporation. It runs on a modified version of SteamOS, enabling users to access their Steam library on the go. However, Minecraft Java Edition is not available on Steam as it is a separate version with its own launcher. Nevertheless, it is possible to play Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck with a few extra steps.
To get Minecraft Java Edition running on Steam Deck, one needs to use a third-party launcher such as Prism. Prism is a free launcher that can be downloaded from its official website. Once downloaded, users need to add Prism to their Steam library as a non-Steam game. This can be done by clicking on the “Add a game” button in the bottom-left corner of the Steam library and selecting Prism from the list of programs.
After adding Prism to the Steam library, users can launch it from Steam and log in with their Minecraft Java Edition account. Prism provides an easy-to-use interface with custom-made control profiles, making Minecraft Java Edition playable on Steam Deck with a controller. Users can also set custom library artwork for Prism on Steam Deck to make it visually appealing.
In conclusion, while Minecraft Java Edition is not available on Steam, it is still possible to play it on Steam Deck using a third-party launcher such as Prism. With custom control profiles and library artwork, Minecraft Java Edition plays great on Steam Deck, making it a portable gaming option for Minecraft fans.
Installing Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck
If you’re looking to install Minecraft Java Edition on your Steam Deck, it is possible, but it will take a little extra work. Since Minecraft Java is not available on Steam, you’ll need to use a third-party software called Prism to install and launch the game on your Steam Deck.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Download and install Prism on your computer.
- Once installed, open Prism and click the “+” button on the bottom left to add a new game.
- Locate the Minecraft Java executable file on your computer and add it to Prism.
- Launch Steam on your Steam Deck and click on “Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library” on the bottom left.
- Select Minecraft Java from the list and click “Add Selected Programs” to add it to your Steam Library.
- Right-click on Minecraft Java in your Steam Library and select “Properties.”
- Under the “Controller” tab, you can customize the controls for Minecraft on your Steam Deck.
- You can also set custom library artwork for Minecraft by clicking on “Set Custom Artwork” on the main Properties page.
With custom-made control profiles, Minecraft plays great on Steam Deck. So don’t stress if it’s not available on Steam, just follow these steps and you’ll be able to enjoy Minecraft Java Edition on your Steam Deck in no time!
Customizing Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck
If you want to play Minecraft Java Edition on your Steam Deck, you’ll need to do some customization to get it working properly. Here are some ways to modify the game on your Steam Deck:
How to Modify Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck with Resource Packs?
Resource Packs in Minecraft allow players to change the look and feel of the game by replacing textures and sound effects. To use resource packs on Steam Deck, follow these steps:
- Find a resource pack you want to use and download it onto your Steam Deck.
- Open Minecraft Java Edition and click on “Options” then “Resource Packs”.
- Click on “Open Pack Folder” and place the downloaded resource pack into the folder that opens.
- Go back to Minecraft and click the arrow next to the resource pack to activate it.
How to Use Mods on Steam Deck for Minecraft Java Edition?
Mods can add new content, features and improvements to Minecraft Java Edition. Here are the steps to use mods on Steam Deck:
- Find a mod you want to use from a trusted source and download it onto your Steam Deck.
- Open Minecraft Java Edition and navigate to “Options” then “Mods” then click on “Open Mods Folder”.
- Place the downloaded mod file into the mods folder that opens.
- Restart Minecraft Java Edition and the mod should be activated.
Can you play a different version of Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck?
Yes, you can play different versions of Minecraft Java Edition on your Steam Deck. To switch to a different version, follow these steps:
- Open Minecraft Java Edition and click on “Installations” from the main menu.
- Click “New” and select the version you want to install from the dropdown menu.
- Give the version a name and adjust any settings as needed.
- Click on “Create” to install the new version.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select the new version from the “Play” button dropdown menu.
The Pros and Cons of Using Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck
If you’re looking to play Minecraft Java Edition on your Steam Deck, there are a few advantages and disadvantages to consider. Let’s take a look at both.
- Custom control profiles: Since Minecraft Java Edition is not available on Steam, you’ll need to add it as a non-Steam game. However, with custom-made control profiles, you can make Minecraft Java Edition work great on your Steam Deck.
- Wide range of mods: By adding Minecraft Java Edition to your Steam Deck, you’ll have access to a wide range of mods that allow for even more customization and gameplay options.
- Easy installation: Installing Minecraft Java Edition on your Steam Deck is a straightforward process. All you need to do is add it as a non-Steam game and you’re ready to go.
- Not natively available on Steam: As mentioned earlier, Minecraft Java Edition is not available on Steam. This means that adding it as a non-Steam game can be a bit complicated, and updates may not be as seamless as they would be for games that are natively available on Steam.
- Not as optimized for the Steam Deck: While custom control profiles can make Minecraft Java Edition work well on your Steam Deck, it is not optimized specifically for the device. This means that there may be some limitations when it comes to graphics and performance.
- No crossplay with Minecraft Bedrock Edition: If you’re looking to play Minecraft with friends who are using Minecraft Bedrock Edition, you won’t be able to join their game since the two editions are not compatible.
Alternative Options for Launching Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck
If you’re an avid gamer, you are probably already familiar with Steam Deck. Steam Deck is a handheld gaming console that allows players to play their favorite games anywhere, anytime. However, since neither Minecraft Bedrock nor Minecraft Java is available on Steam, many players find it challenging to get the game on their Steam Deck. Fortunately, there are a few alternative options available for launching Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck.
Prism Launcher for Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck
Prism Launcher is a popular option for players who want to run Minecraft Java Edition on their Steam Deck. To get started, players need to install Prism Launcher on their computer and add Minecraft Java Edition as a non-Steam game. Once that is done, players can customize their control profiles and adjust the library artwork according to their liking. With custom-made control profiles, Minecraft Java Edition plays great on Steam Deck and provides a seamless gaming experience to players.
PolyMC as an Alternative Launcher for Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck
PolyMC is another alternative launcher that players can use to launch Minecraft Java Edition on their Steam Deck. It is a simple and easy-to-use launcher that allows players to add and install any version of Minecraft Java Edition using the built-in search system. With PolyMC, players no longer need to go through the hassle of setting up Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck as it installs everything automatically. However, players should note that PolyMC is no longer supported and has been replaced by the Prism Launcher.
What if the controls don’t work when playing Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck?
If the controls aren’t working as expected, it might be necessary to set up custom-made control profiles for Minecraft on Steam Deck. Fortunately, this is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. By creating a custom control profile, players can ensure that they have complete control over their Minecraft experience, no matter which version they’re playing.
How can you play Minecraft Java Edition with mods on Steam Deck?
To play Minecraft Java Edition with mods on the Steam Deck, players will need to use a program like Prism or PolyMC to manage their mod files. Once these files are installed, players can simply select Minecraft Java Edition from their Steam Deck library and start playing with their favorite mods.
Is it possible to play a different version of Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck?
Yes, players can play any version of Minecraft Java Edition on their Steam Deck, as long as they have already purchased the game. Minecraft Java Edition can be added to the Steam Deck library as a non-Steam game, giving players access to all of their Minecraft versions in one place. With the help of custom control profiles, players can enjoy a smooth and seamless Minecraft experience on their Steam Deck, no matter which version they’re playing.
If you’re a Minecraft enthusiast and want to play it on Steam Deck, you can definitely do it! Although it requires a bit of extra work, it’s possible to get Minecraft Java Edition on Steam Deck. With custom-made control profiles and the Prism Launcher, Minecraft runs smoothly and efficiently on Steam Deck. So, get your Steam Deck ready and enjoy Minecraft on the go!